20 January 2009

inauguration day.


i brought in my rabbit ears from home and set them up on the television i usually show my powerpoints on. my intermediate drawing and painting class was scheduled for a double block and they're all knee deep in several projects so i just set it up and let it play. they painted and watched like they were at home. it seemed perfect...for me and for them.

at 11:15 we all gathered in the assembly hall and watched the live coverage on the big screen.

i feel lucky that my school co-ordinated this...but i have to admit that i often feel conflicted about experiencing so many big events with my students rather than with friends or family. i know most people watched at work and i did too. but i feel like i can't always experience things the way i normally would (read...crying) in front of the kids. maybe this is silly.

the experience also made me long for brooklyn to see how my former students felt about the whole event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ms. roberts....
i cried my eyes out in front of my class of ninth graders...if you warn them ahead of time that the tears are coming, they tend to be ok with it, i find!
ps...i love your blog....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...