13 November 2008

open...closed.

 
this is literally one of the most important teaching tools i have. 

i started to use it in brooklyn when the kids would not leave me alone. they were always wanting to chat with me and tell me their problems and i loved the feeling of being able to help them. but i wasn't getting any "work" done at school which led to me staying up late at home and coming in tired the next day. the more tired i got from staying up late (and not having a personal life) the less effective i became in the classroom. it took me a long time to figure out that it might be ok, and better even, for me to refuse to see the kids for limited periods of time during the day so i could plan effective lessons and assess their work. 

i found this sign at staples and have used it ever since. at the school i teach at now i have my own office, with a door....that you can't see through. i have the kids trained. if the sign says closed i set the clock for when i'll be available. this calms them down and makes it easier for them to wait. if it says open and the door is closed they can knock if they need something important. my advisees have special permission to knock at any time. this system works so well. i get a lot of work done during the school day and no longer stay up late. i've even got a personal life and a fledgling art career.

i have always believed that modelling behavior for students is one of the best ways to teach. my students know that i have a studio at home and another career i care very much about. they see me budgeting my time wisely so that i can do both things well (at least that's the goal). 

a very wise person once said to me that the best thing i can do for my students (especially as a female role model) is to let them watch me walk out the door. school is important but it's not the only thing...

2 comments:

christine said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
christine said...

I definitely agree with this policy and example. I have to say that now that I don't allow students to hang out in my room at lunch or visit me during preps, without appointments for extra help, I am much more effective. I don't know when I used to do "work", but I know I did a lot of online shopping at school and didn't have much of a life once I left the building. I feel much healthier getting most of my grading and planning done at school and using my time out of the building for me. I always get a few annoyed kids that expect me to be at their beck and call at all times of the day, even students that think a teacher's work day goes until "4 something at least." However, after a few lectures on entitlement and the importance of requesting extra help politely, these guys learn a useful lesson and I don't burn out after a few weeks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...