26 August 2008

getting back in the swing.

as both an artist and a teacher i am always filled with mixed emotions at this time of year.

when i was little i couldn't wait for the start of school. i loved buying back-to-school clothes and picking out school supplies...breaking the bindings of books for the first time. but it's different now that i'm a "grown-up". summer is my time to be an artist...to work in the studio for hours on end with few other obligations. and it's hard to give that up at the end of august.

what i know for sure is that both making art and teaching art are my life's work and i feel lucky to have two careers i feel so passionate about. the trick is balancing them in a way that keeps me feeling sane and like i'm giving them both my all.

and so here i sit in my big beautiful classroom trying to figure out where to start. i've organized my notebook already....

...and color-coded my schedule.

starting in this way gives me something to hang onto as i dive into the messy job of organizing my curriculum, the supplies, and the room, while attending professional development meetings all day long.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re the color coded schedule: you are such a nerd. and that is why i love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...